I am so behind with my posts and I’ve got so much to tell you, so I think I’d better get a move on!
Pheasant has been languishing on my desk for a few days as I’ve been a bit under the weather with the flu but I’d managed to get colour layer number two completed and the cutting for number three before I had to shut up shop.
After printing the first colour layer, I spent, what seemed to be, a very long time cutting out the wheat and the ground covering (not sure whether this is going to be straw, or grass yet). There’s a lot of detail in the straw so that meant I had to be focussed – no wine! The ground covering could be a lot more fluid and I used a larger cutter for this so that the lines weren’t similar to that of the wheat.
After proofing, I mixed some yellow ochre and opaque white together. I don’t want a bright background as the pheasant itself will have lots of colour so he needs to stand out.
So, here’ is the print so far; after colour layer number two,
I’m using a beautiful deckle edged paper by BFK Rives paper (Blanc) 210gsm which is available at Lawrence. It’s a mould-made, 100% cotton rag, internally sized, and acid free with a matt surface. It’s quite a weighty paper, but given that this print with have quite a few colour layers, I think that’s probably a good thing.
I managed to cut out the lino ready for the third colour layer and hopefully tomorrow that printing will begin. You’ll see a change in the brightness of the ink going forward as the next layer begins the main pheasant colours.
Let me know what you think.